My old, clear iPhone case was getting yellow so I figured it was time for a new one. It's amazing how much people charge for these things. So I broke out the old Mod Podge and some leftover Amy Butler scrapbooking paper I had lying around and covered the outside of the case.
The paper was double-sided, so it shows through on the inside.
I covered the buttons and they still work fine. I just covered between the holes for connections so I wouldn't have to cut them all out. Of course, I cut out the oval for the camera hole.It hasn't really been kid-tested yet, but it seems like it's pretty sturdy. The Mod Podge makes the case a little stiff, so it's hard to get the phone out, but not impossible.